Sciatica treatments in Bridgend, Cowbridge, Pencoed, Porthcawl and South Wales
Sciatica is a symptom of an underlying medical condition and is commonly recognised as a pain which runs down the leg and which can be excruciating, caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve.
What are the common symptoms of sciatica:
- A pain that runs from the lower back to the thigh but can also extend to the foot and toes
- A burning or tingling sensation
- Numbness or weakness of the leg muscles
- Most cases of sciatica affects one leg it is unusual to affect both legs
What might cause sciatica?
- A trapped nerve in the lumbar spine irritating the sciatic nerve
- A disc herniation (slipped disc)
- Piriformis syndrome – the piriformis is a muscle in your buttocks that the sciatic nerve runs under, and sometimes through, and if it gets tight it can irritate the sciatic nerve
- Trigger point referral – knots in the muscles of the buttocks or low back, called trigger points, may cause the sensation of pain down the leg (referral) that can mimic sciatica
Sciatica treatments from a chiropractor
Sandford Chiropractic provides a variety of highly specific manual techniques for sciatica with a combination of chiropractic adjustments, massage and stretching advice to aid rehabilitation.
If you are suffering from sciatica in Bridgend, Cowbridge, Pencoed, Porthcawl or the surrounding areas of South Wales please contact us today.